Anyone know about naval aviators serving in 90th Bomb group?

Inquire about crew members, aircraft, or any other subject here.
Nigel

Anyone know about naval aviators serving in 90th Bomb group?

Post by Nigel » 18 Sep 2020 2055

Thanks to some contributors on this board, I've been able learn extensively about my wife's uncle, 2nd Lt Joseph Horgan. However, there is a single mystery that I can't find information about: I have a photo portrait of him, but he is wearing a white US naval aviator cadet uniform.

I'm pretty much 100% convinced it's a US navy uniform (based on on cap type, emblem, collar, pocket location, epaulet, etc, and indeed it is identical to the photo portrait of George H W Bush: https://www.history.navy.mil/content/hi ... 815995.jpg).

I'm assuming a naval uniform cannot be worn unless you are in the US Navy. Did the 90th Bomb group receive transferred US Navy aviators? Does anyone know anything about this?

Mark Glanville

Re: Anyone know about naval aviators serving in 90th Bomb group?

Post by Mark Glanville » 14 Dec 2020 1502

He may have started out as a naval Cadet and transferred or re-enlisted. My uncle Paul was in the Army Quartermaster Corps stationed up in Alaska when the war broke out and then re-enlisted in the Air Corps and ended up in the 90th B.G..
Also, I remember reading in one of the 90th BG books about someone taking a Naval pilot up and letting him fly around for a while so he could qualify to get flight pay.

Mark Glanville