Queen Mae Crew

Inquire about crew members, aircraft, or any other subject here.
rogbmw

Queen Mae Crew

Post by rogbmw » 07 Jul 2020 1116

My father, Lealon Wray, was the top gunner/engineer on the Queen Mae. He told me some amazing stories. I have quite a bit of information on him and the crew, which I will add over time, but it would be great to hear from other's who had family on the Queen Mae. He told me that on one of the raids they were the first plane back from the first mission of its type, and they were given beer and filmed by Stars and Stripes. I would love to find the old newsreels of them, and have been looking for quite some time. I have dad's Jolly Roger squadron books, some mission information, as well a post card he sent mom with the Queen Mae picture.

I recently have gotten into RC Aircraft, and have purchased a B24, which I will be building to the specs of the Queen Mae. The wingspan is over 5 feet!

Hopefully someone has information on the crew of the Queen Mae.

Here are some pictures of the Queen Mae
Queen_May_90BG_Web.jpg
qm.png

Bob Tupa

Re: Queen Mae Crew

Post by Bob Tupa » 08 Jul 2020 1426

Hopefully the color picture is attached.
Attachments
Queen Mae 2.JPG

Mark Glanville

Post by Mark Glanville » 14 Dec 2020 1508

Here's a photo of Queen Mae after a few missions
Attachments
QueenMae.jpg

rogbmw

Post by rogbmw » 27 Dec 2020 1142

I was asked to submit information on dad to someone in my hometown in Missouri about persons from West Plains who were in World War II. In researching the information, I read through my dad's journal about his time during World War II. I came across pictures of the crew in dad's Asterperious squadron book with the names. Dad's writing is somewhat hard to read, but here was his initial crew.

Here is the initial crew:
Pilot: Sellers
Co-Pilot: Jewell
Navigator: Cooper
Bombardier: Frury (sp?)
Front Turret: Stroder
Waist Gunner: Sims
Waist Gunner: Muloney
Radio Ops: Wadsworth (sp?) Fort Smith, AR
Tail Gunner: Gugery (sp?)
Engineer/Top Gunner: Wray

Sometime during the war, the pilot had an issue and was not able to fly high altitude missions, so the pilot changed. The new pilot's name was Anderson.
Attachments
crew with names.jpg